Joanna Penn is the epitome of the author/entrepreneur
Joanna Penn is a New York Times and USA Today best selling author of thrillers and non-fiction who has achieved her success through independent publishing.
Her website, www.thecreativepenn.com is consistently voted one of the top 10 blogs and resources for writers. Joanna also writes extensively about the business of self publishing and is a sought after public speaker.
In Episode 15 of the eBook Revolution, Joanna talks with Geoff Hughes about her new thriller – Destroyer of Worlds and shares some insights behind her inspiration and working processes.
Why you must fill your creative well – you can’t write unless you’re filled up with life. Get out in the world, live and travel and inspiration will come to you. How to use Flickr and Pinterest as travel research tools if you can’t get out of the house.
- Why a big idea and original characters will help propel your story.
- How following your curiosity will bring unexpected rewards- the idea for her new book Destroyer of Worlds came from seeing a statue of the Goddess Shiva in India
- How writing software like Scrivener can help you organise your research into something coherent.
- Why you shouldn’t over-research – do enough to get started but don’t get obsessed with it
- The importance of emergence when writing fiction. Write about what interests you but let the story bubble up as you start to join the dots from your research.
- Why you shouldn’t rely on just one income stream. Don’t put all your eBooks in the Amazon basket. Some practical advice on exactly how to multi-platform your books.